Watch this video showing our vision for Girdwood!
** Click on 720P & the Full Screen Button to see in HD! **
VISION AND GOALS
* This group is dedicated to transitioning Girdwood, Alaska from a consumerist community into a sustainable one.
* We are working to establish sustainable energy and sustainable food production infrastructure in Girdwood.
* We currently have four major mid-term goals and many minor ones, but the long term goal is to become a model of sustainability that others may copy.
IN THE MID-TERM WE SEEK TO:
1. In partnership with the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), to establish a center of academic study and experimentation called the Girdwood Renewable Energy Research & Discovery Center.
2. In partnership with all who can help, to develop the renewable energy infrastructure in Girdwood, beginning with harnessing the power of four of our creeks to provide 20% of our current power consumption needs. Over time, we wish to add to to this infrastructure with a diverse mix of renewable energy infrastructure, to harness the hydro, solar, wind, tidal, and geothermal power available to us.
3. To establish a renewable energy powered, lighted and heated greenhouse system that can grow at least 80% of the produce this town currently consumes.
4. To set up a summer season greenhouse project for 2010.
Please join us here in our "Discussion Forum" for conversation on how we will accomplish these four goals.